Saturday, July 18, 2015

Discovering the Fruits of your Labors

 Today was a very special day at Sacrament Meeting...


A lot of things just transpired today and somehow the highlight of today's meeting became evident when we realized that one of the people that my mom taught when she was a young missionary is now one of the stake high councilmen.

I guess it all started with a lot of things running through my head when we were singing hymn #266 "The Time is Far Spent". The speakers' topic was about baptism. Memories came by that every time we sang that song on Temple Square, there is always a group chuckle. Why? It's President Paul Harman's favorite hymn. And it is a constant reminder that the time that we have to serve as full-time missionaries is but a short-moment. I can't help but chuckle as I conducted the song today and looking at my best friend, he was laughing with the same memories as well in a different scenario. Another thing that came to my mind was that the time is far spent to wait until we are ready to get married. Hahaha. Not a really good thought but somehow, I knew that I'm getting to that point of saying I am having a different feeling.

ANYWAY, going back. When Brother Baclayon of the Stake High Council stood up to speak as a concluding speaker, he shared of his conversion story of how he got to know the church and what kept him standing today. I never really paid so much attention because of the memories of the mission but one thing that definitely stood out to me when he mentioned my mother's maiden surname. He said that when he was still 16 years old, he remembered that missionaries always came to his house and would do family home evening. He was grateful for the missionaries. He somehow mentioned my mom, then Sister Cruz (with the description that she is the wife of Brother Ngo of the High Council - my dad) would visit his family and sometimes conduct family home evenings. He ended up getting baptized in 1991, about 3 years after my mom was assigned in Arlington.

My mom's reaction was priceless. She couldn't remember a thing and she just had this surprised look on her face. I was amused and amazed at the same time with the thought and I reminded myself that as a missionary, we can never really see the fruits of our labors until many years later. It reminded me of a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 18:15-16 which says:

15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

 16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!

It was the coolest thing that I have ever witnessed in my life. The Church is True!